- Can I drive a golf cart or other utility vehicles on public roadways?
Frequently we get questions on the operation of golf carts and other types of utility vehicles on the street in the City of Port Neches.
On June 2nd, 2011, The City of Port Neches City Council approved Ordinance 2011-07 regulating the operation of golf carts within the City.
An operator may drive a golf cart on a City Street for which the posted speed limit is not more than 35 miles per hour under the following circumstances:
- Driver must be licensed to operate a vehicle,
- The golf cart is covered with liability insurance,
- All passengers must be seated while the golf cart is in motion,
- No more passengers than the golf cart is designed to seat. (No passengers in lap), and
- Can cross highway or street with speed limit greater than 35 miles per hour only at an intersection.
*Allowing someone to operate a golf cart in violation of State law or City ordinance is a violation, subject to fine.
A golf cart operated under this section must have the following equipment:
- Parking brake;
- Mirrors; and
- Display a slow-moving-vehicle emblem.
Vehicles such as Polaris Rangers, Razors, Kawasaki Mules and other recreational off-highway vehicles (ROV’s) cannot be operated on City streets or highways.
If you have any questions, please contact the Port Neches Police Department.
- How can I get fingerprinted?
Fingerprinting is done for employment purposes or for concealed handgun registration for City of Port Neches residents. You do not need an appointment but you should call ahead and inquire on the availability of an officer at 409-722-1424. The cost for fingerprinting is $3.00 per card.
- How can I request the mobile traffic radar trailer to be placed in my neighborhood?
Call 409-719-4238. Placement of the speed display is dependent upon a safe location in an area that will be most effective in data collection and reducing vehicle speeds.