Pages

La Maison Beausolei

la-maison-beausolei

“LA MAISON BEAUSOLEIL (house of Beautiful Sunshine) was named after JOSEPH DIT BEAUSOLEIL. With other Acadian families and Indians of the region of Nova Scotia, Canada, he fought a guerilla type war against the English after the start of the deportation in 1755. The children of Martin Broussard and Editha Bourque, direct descendants of JOSEPH BROUSSARD DIT BEAUSOLEIL, donated LA MAISON BEAUSOLEIL to LES ACADIENS DU TEXAS.

Built around 1810 in St. Martin Parish Louisiana, this authentic Cajun architectural style home was transported via barge down the Vermilion River south to the Intercoastal Canal then west into the Neches River to the city park of Port Neches, Texas.

LES ACADIENS DU TEXAS, a non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation of the culture and language of the Acadian people, restored this home of cypress.

In October 1990, LES ACADIENS DU TEXAS obtained an old cypress barn near Xaplan, Louisiana. This barn was dismantled and rebuilt near LA MAISON BEAUOLEIL. In due time, it will be part of the museum complex displaying farm equipment of the type used by the Acadians of that era.

Presently, LA MAISON BEAUSOLEIL is open on Saturday and Sunday from 1 PM to 5PM. Other times can be arranged for bus tours and special occasions by calling 409-722-1688, 409-722-9554, or 409-832-6733.

THERE IS NO ADMISSION CHARGE